Thanks to the City of Los Altos for giving us a heads-up about upcoming sewer work affecting a few bordering areas in Mountain View. Take a look at their advisory below, and you can also go to their original posting here which features an additional map.
Sewer Collection System Upgrade (Projects 13-10 & 13-04)
The City of Los Altos is scheduled to begin a sewer main repair project on April 26, 2014, which will span the cities of Los Altos, Mountain View and Palo Alto. Repairs are planned to take place on El Monte Avenue, Bayshore Parkway and San Antonio Road (north of E. Charleston Road). Work on this project is expected to continue into June and will require significant lane closures on heavily traveled street segments. Those segments include the following:
- San Antonio Frontage Road
- Under Highway 101 at San Antonio Road on and off-ramps
- Intersection of San Antonio Road and Bayshore Parkway
- El Monte Avenue between Spargur Drive and Marich Way
The project will consist of lining the underground sanitary sewer pipes at locations noted below to mitigate corrosion. Work will also be completed at two sewer manholes on Bayshore Parkway, one south of Garcia Avenue and the other near San Antonio Road.
The sanitary sewer pipes at the following locations will be repaired:
- San Antonio Frontage Road: 996 San Antonio Road to 998 San Antonio Road
- San Antonio Frontage Road/Easement: 998 San Antonio Road to 4007 Transport Street
- Easement at 4007 Transport Street/under State Highway 101: 4007 Transport Street, under State Highway 101, to 2634 Bayshore Parkway
The pipeline work cannot be accomplished when there is wastewater flowing in the pipe. Therefore, above ground pipes will be assembled and used as necessary along the street centerline, shoulder area and along one side of the San Antonio Road Bridge (over Highway 101) to convey sewage temporarily before the below-ground pipe and manhole repair progresses. Underground pipes will also be installed at the on and off ramps that are in the Caltrans right-of-way at Highway 101.
Traffic impacts to expect in the area include the following:
San Antonio Road/Bayshore Parkway:
- Street parking on San Antonio Frontage Road will be temporarily restricted during the project. “No Parking” signs will be posted on this one-way street and at other locations as requested by the cities of Palo Alto and Mountain View.
- Sewage bypass system (piping and pumps) will be in place from installation and until the project is complete.
- The work hours for the rehabilitation of the two manholes on Bayshore Parkway will be from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. However, the lining of the sewer mains on San Antonio Frontage Road, under Highway 101 and at the intersection of San Antonio Road and Bayshore Parkway is a 24-hour operation.
El Monte Avenue:
- Left turns onto El Monte Avenue from Pilgrim Avenue, Hollingsworth Drive, Spargur Drive, Marich Way and from the driveway of El Monte Shopping Center will be prohibited during the duration of project. Left turns from El Monte Avenue onto Marich Way will also be prohibited.
- Residents on El Monte Avenue (from Marich Way to Spargur Drive/Lloyd Way) will have access to their driveways. However, they will be limited to right turns only during the project.
- Vehicles and bicycles will share the road since the Contractor will need to set a temporary work area in the middle of the El Monte Avenue that will impact the existing travel lanes.
- The lining of the two sewer mains on El Monte Avenue is a 24-hour operation.
Questions about this project can be directed to the City of Los Altos Engineering Division at (650) 947-2780. More information about this project, including ongoing project updates, is available on the City of Los Altos website at www.losaltosca.gov.