Going away for a weekend or going on a vacation is always a trip. See what we did there?
And while you are away, you always want to feel like your valuables back home are safe. With the holidays fast approaching, we wanted to just send out a few reminders about how to make sure your home is safe and sound! As always, if you see something, say something.
Tips to prevent burglaries include:
- Make your home look like it’s occupied. Have lights on, doors and windows closed and locked, and if possible, install sensor lighting around your home so walkways up to your residence light up when people approach!
- Have mail be picked up by a trustworthy neighbor or friend or have it temporarily stopped and held at your local post office. Don’t allow any deliveries while you are away.
- Store anything you normally keep outside, including bikes, lawnmowers or barbecues, in the garage while you are away. Out of sight, out of mind!
- Make sure door hinges for your doors are on the inside of your home.
- Install an alarm system in your home. While you are away, you can check to see how your home is doing and you can get alerts when someone or something may try to get inside.
- Never leave keys to your home under doormats, flower pots, in mailboxes or other hiding places.
- Store away in a safe any valuable items you are choosing to leave behind, including passports, checkbooks and other key documentation.
If your home is burgled, here is what you need to do:
- Do not go inside – the person who broke in may still be inside. It is never safe to approach a possible suspect.
- Call us (911) immediately. Do not wait to report it.
- Do not touch anything or clean up anything before we get there. You never know what may be evidence or what may lead us to find the person who broke into your home.